Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream
PhD - OISE/UT, Toronto; M.Ed. - YorkU, Toronto
Location(s) / Contact Info:
223, Winters College - WC
My perspectives on science stem from initial degrees in microbiology and entomology, and early career experiences with agricultural research, in the Atlantic provinces and New England states. A love for teaching compelled me into education; I taught middle and high school sciences for 9 years in international schools in the Philippines, South Korea, China and Japan. A growing awareness of and interest in seemingly dominant values and practices in science teaching brought me back home for graduate degrees in science education to study these phenomena. Through critical ethnographic and post structural perspectives involving analysis of discourse, I inquire into cultural aspects of science education as a way to generate knowledge about how dominant practices and discourse shape teacher subjectivity and practice. This knowledge can provide an interpretive lens to teachers and education communities to evaluate the way things are in science education, and therefore how they might be transformed. I teach courses pertaining to science education, environmental education, outdoor education, and critical/cultural perspectives.
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education -
- Critical Pedagogy (GS/EDUC 5800)
- Cultural Studies in Science Education (GS/EDUC 5851)
- Research Methods in Educational Studies (ED/EDST 3800)
- Science & Technology in the Junior-Intermediate Divisions (ED/EDJI 2000)
- Special Topics: Ecology, Ethics and Education (GS/EDUC 5446)
- Teaching Biology in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - A (ED/BIOL 4000)
- Teaching Biology in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - B (ED/BIOL 4001)
- Teaching Chemistry in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - A (ED/CHEM 4000)
- Teaching Chemistry in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - B (ED/CHEM 4001)
- Teaching Environmental Science in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - A (ED/ENVS 4000)
- Teaching Environmental Science in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - B (ED/ENVS 4001)
- Teaching Physics in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - A (ED/PHYS 4000)
- Teaching Physics in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - B (ED/PHYS 4001)
- Teaching Science (General) in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - A (ED/SCIE 4000)
- Teaching Science (General) in the Intermediate-Senior Divisions - B (ED/SCIE 4001)
- Teaching Science in the Intermediate Division (ED/SCIE 3000)
- Youth and Cultural Experience (GS/EDUC 5435)
- Hoeg, D., El Halwany, S., Sperling, E., Zouda, M. & Bencze, L. (2019). Confronting self-Stories of incipiency, disequilibrium, and becoming critical in science education. In J. Bazzul & C. Siry (Eds.), (pp. 127-140). DordrechtSpringer
- Hoeg, D. (2019). Considerations of spirituality in science education. In S. Jagger & P. Trafonas (Eds.), Handbook of Cultural Studies and Education (pp. 364-380). UKRoutledge
- Hoeg, D. & Bencze, L. (2017). Rising against a gathering storm: A biopolitical analysis of citizenship in STEM policy.. Cultural Studies of Science Education , 12 (4), 843-861.
- Hoeg, D. & Bencze, L. (2017). Values underpinning STEM education in the USA: An analysis of the Next Generation Science Standards.. Science Education, 101 (2), 278-301.
- Hoeg, D., Williamson, T., & Bencze, L. (2017). School science ruling relations and resistance to activism in early secondary school science. In L. Bencze (Ed.), Science and Technology Education Promoting Wellbeing for Individuals, Societies and Environments (pp. 49-66). DordrechtSpringer
- Hoeg, D., DiGiacomo, A., El Halwany, S., Krstovic, M., Milanovic, Phillips-McNeil,C., M., Zouda, M., & Bencze, L. (2017). Science for citizenship: Using Prezi for education about critical socio- scientific issues. . In In L. Bencze Science and Technology Education Promoting Wellbeing for Individuals, Societies and Environments (pp. 359-380). DordrechtSpringer
- Hoeg, D. & Barrett, S. (2016). Pre-service teachers' beliefs about environmental education: Enthusiasm and misconceptions.. In D. Karrow, M. DiGiuseppe, P. Elliott, Y. Gwekwerere & H. Inwood (Eds.), Canadian Perspectives on Initial Teacher Environmental Education Praxis (pp. 35-66). Ottawa, ONCanadian Association for Teacher Education
- Inwood, H. & Hoeg, D (2015). Going DEEPER: Outdoor and experiential learning in initial teacher education. Pathways: The Ontario Journal of Outdoor Education, 27 (3), 6-12.
- Hoeg, D., Lemelin, N. & Bencze, L. (2015). Socio-political development of private school children mobilising for disadvantaged others. Cultural Studies of Science Education , 10 (4), 1155-1174.
- Hoeg, D. & Bencze, L. (2014). Counter cultural hegemony: Student teachers experiences implementing STSE-activism. In L. Bencze & S. Alsop (Eds.), Activist Science and Technology Education (pp. 575-596). DordrechtSpringer
- Hoeg, D (2011). Curriculum and creativity: One teacher's story of including science content in STSE-activism education. The Crucible , 42 (5).