PhD - York University
Location(s) / Contact Info:
Winters College - WC
Phone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 30733
Website: The Beyond Bullying ProjectAvailable to supervise graduate students
Currently taking on work-study students, Graduate Assistants or Volunteers
Available to supervise undergraduate thesis projects
Jen Gilbert's research interests include sexuality education, youth studies, and LGBTQ issues in education. Gilbert is author of Sexuality in School: The Limits of Education (University of Minnesota Press, 2014), winner of the AERA Outstanding Book Award (Division B: Curriculum). She is collaborator on the Beyond Bullying Project ( beyondbullyingproject.com ) a storytelling research project that invites high school students, staff, and community members to share stories of LGBTQ+ sexuality and gender. Recent work explores changing conceptualizations of consent in sex education.
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education -
- Adolescent Development & Health (ED/EDFE 1101)
- Inquiries Into Learning (ED/EDFE 2100)
- Sexualities and Education (GS/EDUC 5425)
- Student-Initiated Collaborative Inquiry (ED/EDUC 3998)
- Theory and Research in Language, Culture and Teaching (GS/EDUC 5120)
- Jen Gilbert (2021). Getting dirty and coming clean: Sex education and the problem of expertise.. Curriculum Inquiry, 1-18. doi:https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.yorku.ca/10.1080/03626784.2021.1947732.
- Sharon Lamb, Jen Gilbert, eds. (2018). The Cambridge Handbook of Sexual Development: Childhood and Adolescence. Cambridge University Press
- Jen Gilbert, Jessica Fields, Laura Mamo, Nancy Lesko (2018). Intimate Possibilities: The Beyond Bullying Project and Stories of LGBTQ Sexuality and Gender in U.S. Schools. Harvard Educational Review.
- Julia Sinclair- Palm, Jen Gilbert (2018). Naming new realities: supporting trans youth in education. (Jen Gilbert, Julia Sinclair-Palm, Ed.) Sex Education, 18 (4). doi:https://doi.org/10.1080/14681811.2018.1452347.
- Jen Gilbert, Jessica Fields, Laura Mamo, Nancy Lesko (2017). Tending Toward Friendship: LGBTQ Sexualities in Schools. Sexualities.
- Jen Gilbert (2014). Sexuality in School: The Limits of Education. Minneapolis: Univeristy of Minnesota Press
Risks worth taking: Young women, risk, and sexuality in the age of COVID-19
Amount funded: $250000
Year Funded: 2021
Funded by: New Frontiers in Research Fund
Between Yes and No: Rethinking Discourses of Consent in Sex Education
Role: Principal Investigator
Amount funded: $176,000
Year Funded: 2018
Funded by: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies: Fellow