Aparna Mishra Tarc (On Sabbatical (2023-2024))
Ph.D. - York University, Toronto, ON; M.Ed. - Queen's University, Kingston, ON; B.Ed. - Queen's University, Kingston, ON; Hon B.A. - University of Western Ontario, London, ON
Location(s) / Contact Info:
280, Winters College - WC
Phone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 20048
RSS Feeds: twitterAvailable to supervise graduate students
Dr Aparna Mishra Tarc is scholar and associate professor of the literary humanities in education. She joined the Faculty at York in 2009. She was formerly an elementary school teacher in the Philippines, Vietnam and Canada. She is author of over fifty articles and chapters and of two manuscripts: Literacy of the Other: Renarrating Humanity (SUNY Press) and Pedagogy in the Novels of J.M. Coetzee (Routledge). -- presently on sabbatical
Educational Humanities, Race, Ethnicity, Disapora and Personhood, Literacy & Literature, Teacher Education, Equity & Social Justice
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education - Bachelor of Education - Early Childhood Education - Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Graduate Studies, Education - Culture - Language - Teaching
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2021). Qualifying pedagogy: Observations on a pedagogical encounter. Pedagogy, Culture, and Society (Online first). doi:10.1080/14681366.2021.1884121.
- Mishra Tarc, Aparna (2020). Pedagogy in the novels of J.M. Coetzee. The affect of literature..
- Mishra Tarc, A & Snaza, N. (2019). "To wake up our minds." The re-enchantment of praxis in Sylvia Wynter. Curriculum Inquiry.
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2017). A Child is Dreaming (Sharon Sliwisnki, Ed.) Museum of Dreams.
- Mishra Tarc, A (2015). Literacy of the other: Renarrating Humanity. New York, USA: SUNY Press
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2014). Literacy of the Other: The inner life of literacy. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, 15, 114-140.
- Mishra Tarc (2013). "I just have to tell you." Pedagogical encounters into the emotional terrain of learning. . Pedagogy, Culture and Society, 21 (2).
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2012). Race moves: following global manifestations of new racisms in intimate space. Race, Ethnicity and Education, 18 (1).
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2019, October). "I am arguing for that unheard." Affective curriculum. Presented at: Plenary paper, Bergamo, Dayton, OH
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2019, April). Tiny revolt. No time for despair. . Presented at: Keynote, York Graduate Studies in Education Conference
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2017, October). "A Hard that Knows." Jim Garrett's Learning to be with others in the world. Presented at: Bergamo, Dayton, OH
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2017, October). I am alive. "I am not your Negro.". Presented at: Bergamo, Dayton, OH
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2017, July). Pedagogy and the perverse in Toni Morrison's God Help the Child. Presented at: Summer Institute in Sexuality Studies, Toronto ON
- Pedagogy of the Unthinkable, SHHRC - 2009
- Faculty of Education Undergraduate Teaching Award, York University - 2017
- York Research Award, York University - 2017
York University Affiliations/Cross Appointments
- Gender and Women's Studies