Aparna Mishra Tarc
Ph.D. - York University, Toronto, ON; M.Ed. - Queen's University, Kingston, ON; B.Ed. - Queen's University, Kingston, ON; Hon B.A. - University of Western Ontario, London, ON
Location(s) / Contact Info:
280, Winters College - WC
Phone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 20048
RSS Feeds: twitterAvailable to supervise graduate students
Dr Aparna Mishra Tarc received her doctorate from York University in 2007 and joined the Faculty at York in 2009. She was formerly an elementary school teacher in the Philippines, Vietnam and Canada. Her current research project engages children's "knowledge": expression, dreamwork, and testimony as a profound and compelling form of teacher education. She is author of Literacy of the Other: Renarrating Humanity (SUNY Press). Her recent book Pedagogy in the Novels of J.M. Coetzee is forthcoming.
Children and youth knowledge, Educational Humanities, Literacy, Literature, Pedagogy, Teacher Education,
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education - Urban Diversity
- Faculty of Graduate Studies, Education - Culture - Language - Teaching
- Research Into Practice (ED/EDFE 4200)
- Teaching for Diverse & Equitable Classrooms in Ontario (ED/EDFE 3100)
- The Act of Writing, Part I (GS/EDUC 5525)
- Mishra Tarc, A & Snaza, N. (2019). "To wake up our minds." The re-enchantment of praxis in Sylvia Wynter. Curriculum Inquiry.
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2017). A Child is Dreaming (Sharon Sliwisnki, Ed.) Museum of Dreams.
- Mishra Tarc, A (2015). Literacy of the other: Renarrating Humanity. New York, USA: SUNY Press
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2014). Literacy of the Other: The inner life of literacy. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, 15, 114-140.
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2013). International education as travelling within. In P. Tarc et al. Reconceiving International Education: The Temporal Layering of Self-Other Relations in Trans-local Spaces. Canadian and International Education Journal, 40, Article 6.
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2013). Wild reading: This madness to our method. QSE: International Journal of Qualitative Studies, 26, 537-552.
- Mishra Tarc (2013). "I just have to tell you." Pedagogical encounters into the emotional terrain of learning. . Pedagogy, Culture and Society, 21 (2).
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2012). Race moves: following global manifestations of new racisms in intimate space. Race, Ethnicity and Education, 18 (1).
- Mishra Tarc, A. (2011). Curriculum as difficult inheritance. Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy, 8 (1), 15-18.
- Mishra, Tarc, A. (2011). Disturbing reading in J.M. Coetzee's 'The Problem of Evil'. Changing English, 18 (1), 57-66.
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2019, April). "I am arguing for that unheard." Inhuman literacies . Presented at: AAACS
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2019, April). Tiny revolt. No time for despair. . Presented at: Keynote, York Graduate Studies in Education Conference
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2017, October). "A Hard that Knows." Jim Garrett's Learning to be with others in the world. Presented at: Bergamo, Dayton, OH
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2017, October). I am alive. "I am not your Negro.". Presented at: Bergamo, Dayton, OH
- Aparna Mishra Tarc (2017, July). Pedagogy and the perverse in Toni Morrison's God Help the Child. Presented at: Summer Institute in Sexuality Studies, Toronto ON
- Pedagogy of the Unthinkable, SHHRC - 2009