Dr. Balyasnikova explores older immigrants’ educational engagement in community-based settings. Using narrative ethnographic methods, she merges traditional ethnographic data generation with facilitation of oral, written, and multimodal storytelling. By analyzing learning that occurs at the intersection of ageing and immigration, her work suggests new pathways of community-based curriculum and educational policy in the context of changing demographics in Canada.
Adult education; Educational gerontology; Teaching English as an additional language; Community-engaged/action research; Narrative and arts-based teaching
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education -
- Adult and Community Education (GS/EDUC 5449)
- Apprenticeship Learning and Learning Communities (ED/EDST 3200)
- Qualitative Research Methods in Education (GS/EDUC 5200)
- Situated Learning and Education (ED/EDST 1100)
- Balyasnikova, N. (2020). An insider view: Understanding volunteers' experiences within a peer-to-peer language learning program in Vancouver's downtown eastside. BC TEAL Journal, 5 (1).
- Vasileva, O., & Balyasnikova, N. (2019). (Re) Introducing Vygotsky's thought: From historical overview to contemporary psychology. Frontiers in Psychology, 10.
- Balyasnikova, N., Higgins, S., & Hume, M. (2018). Enhancing teaching English as an additional language through playfulness: Seniors' (Ethno) Drama Club in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. TESOL Journal, 9 (3).
- Balyasnikova, N., & Gillard, S. (2018). "I Love to Write My Story": Storytelling and its role in seniors' language learning. Canadian Journal for the Study of Adult Education,, 30 (2).
- Gillard, S., Balyasnikova, N., Alkenbrack, B. (2020, May). Something Fun: Enhancing English learning for adult immigrants through the arts.. Presented at: Adult Education in Global Times, (online due to COVID-19). Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education.
- Balyasnikova, N., Gillard, S. (2019, June). Storytelling Club: An arts-based approach to older adult language learning. . Presented at: Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education.
- Balyasnikova, N., Gillard, S., & Korcheva, G. (2018, May). Circles within circles: Storying pedagogical practice, literacy research and community engagement. . Presented at: Canadian Association for the Study of Adult Education.
- TESOL International Association : Chair-Elect of Intercultural Communication Interest Section; Coordinator of Culture and Intercultural Communication Research Strand
- Canadian Association for Studies of Adult Education
- Canadian Association on Gerontology
- The Canadian Association for Curriculum Studies: Program Co-Chair