Cristina Delgado Vintimilla
Assistant Professor, Pedagogista - University of Siena, PhD - University of British Columbia
Cristina is an Assistant Professor of Early Childhood in theFaculty of Education at York University. She is also a pedagogista within the Italian tradition. Prior to joining York University Cristina was immersed in developing innovative and situated early childhood pedagogies at Capilano University Children centre. The Center is known in the Canadian Early Childhood context as a space for radical reconceptualization of early childhood practices and for research done at the intersection between pedagogy and the arts.
Her research interest addresses the ethical question of living well with others within pedagogical gatherings. She engages with this question by problematizing issues of subjectivity in relation to prescribed practices in education, and by unsettling pedagogies that are based in human supremacy and instrumental-managerial logics. She is interested in the intersection between pedagogy and the arts as an enabling space to rethink the project of the human. Her work as a pedagogista happens within an understanding of Pedagogy as that which thinks education. When it comes to curriculum, she is interested in the participatory and relational aspects of curriculum making, particularly, when attending to pedagogical relations as something more than child centered. She is interested in conceptualizations that engage with the life of curriculum from tangible and intangible formations.
She is currently a principal investigator in the SSHRC Insight Development Grant Developing Educational Practices and Methodologies to Enhance Young Children's Voices: Mitigating Climate Change Injustice in Andean Communities and in the New Frontiers Research Fund Exploration grant Ecological Devastation in Extractive Zones: Resistance, Recuperation and
Regeneration. She is also co-investigator in the SSHRC Insight Grant Transforming Waste Pedagogies in Early Childhood Education and co-Director in the Pedagogists Network of Ontario (see websites related to all these projects)
Pedagogy and pedagogical thought, childhood, curriculum theory, ethics for the anthropocene, the creation of situated and innovative pedagogical trajectories, the intersection between pedagogy and the arts, interdisciplinary work in early childhood research
- Educating for a Sustainable Future:A Multidisciplinary Approach (ED/EDUC 3700)
- Educating Young Children (GS/EDUC 5540)
- Pedagogical Documentation in Early Childhood Education (GS/EDUC 5546)
- Rethinking Schooling: A "Re-Introduction" to Education (ED/EDUC 1000)
- Situated Learning and Education (ED/EDST 1100)
- Phelan, A. & Vintimilla, C. D. (2021). Autonomy as responsibility in professional life: Deconstructing teaching standards.. Curriculum Research Journal. .
- Vintimilla, C. D., Pacini-Ketchabaw, V., & Land, N (2021). Manifesting living knowledges: A pedagogists' working manifesto. Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy.
- Vintimilla, D. C., & Kind, S. (2021). Choreographies of practice: Mutualities and sympoetic becomings in early childhood teacher education. In H. Park & C. Shulte (Eds.), Visual arts with young children: Practice, pedagogy, learning.. Routledge.
- Vintimilla, D. C (2021). Relational openings for the otherwise: Thinking community as what is not... . In B. Weber & W. Kohan (Eds.), Childhood, thinking, and time: Contemporary perspectives on the politics of education. Lexington Books
- Pacini-Ketchabaw, V., Vintimilla, C. D., & Berry, A. (2021). Cañari children, cows and milk production: Toward ch'ixi temporalities in the Andes. . Childhood.
- Vintimilla, C. D. (2020). What renders plastic invisible? Interrupting purity in Andean early childhood education. (Berry, A., Vintimilla, C. D., & Pacini-Ketchabaw, V, Eds.) Journal of Equity & Excellence in Education.
- Vintimilla, D. C. & Pacini-Ketchabaw, V. (2020). Developmentalism and pedagogy: Opening horizons in early childhood education. European Early Childhood Education and Research..
- Nxumalo, F., Vintimilla, C. D., & Nelson, N. (2018). Pedagogical gatherings in early childhood education: Mapping interferences in emergent curriculum. Journal of Curriculum Inquiry.
- Vintimilla, D. C (2018). Educators and pedagogista: Encounters at the intersection of history and story. . Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood Education.