PhD - OISE/University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario; MA - OISE/University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario; BEd - Queens University, Kingston, Ontario; BSc (honours) - Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario
Location(s) / Contact Info:
108, Winters College - WC
Phone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 40187
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAvailable to supervise graduate students
Sarah Barrett is an Associate Professor in the Faculty of Education, York University. Her research centres on the impact that the core beliefs and values of teachers have on classroom practice. Identity and professional culture are central themes in her work. She has authored several articles on teachers' professional culture, teacher education and teacher identity and presented at several national and international conferences. Her current research revolves around teachers' conceptions of professional ethics.
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education
- Foundations of Education & Theory Into Practice (ED/EDFE 2000)
- Research and Issues in Language, Culture and Teaching (GS/EDUC 5100)
- .Barkaoui, K., Barrett, S.E., Samaroo, Julia, Dahya, Negin, Aldina, Shahnaaz, James, C.E. (2015). Teachers' Conceptions of Student Engagement in Learning: The Case of Three Urban Schools. Alberta Journal of Educational Research, 61 (1), 80-99.
- Barrett, Sarah Elizabeth (2015). The impact of religious beliefs on professional ethics: a case study of a new teacher. Canadian Journal of Education, 38 (3), 1-21.
- Barrett, Sarah (2013) Evolution of new teachers' beliefs about teaching STSE: Report to school boards. York University, Faculty of Education.
- Barrett, Sarah Elizabeth (2013). Becoming an Activist Science Teacher: A Longitudinal Study of an Induction Intervention. Electronic Journal of Science Education, 17 (4).
- Barrett, Sarah Elizabeth Nieswandt, Martina (2010). Teaching ethics through socioscientific issues in physics and chemistry: Teacher candidates' beliefs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 47, 380-401.
- Portelli, John P. Solomon, Patrick Barrett, Sarah Elizabeth Mujawamariya, Donatille Pinto, Laura Elizabeth Singer, Jordan (2010) Stakeholders' perspectives on induction for new teachers: critical analysis of teacher testing and mentorship. Toronto
- Barrett, Sarah Elizabeth Solomon, R. Patrick Singer, Jordan Portelli, John P. Mujawamariya, Donatille (2009). The hidden curriculum of a teacher induction program. Canadian Journal of Education, 32, 677-702.
- Barrett, Sarah Elizabeth (2014, April). Motivation to Innovate: Inquiry-based Science as Character Education.
- Barrett, Sarah Elizabeth (2012). Covert innovation: a new physics teacher's struggle to bring socioscientific issues into his teaching. Presented at: Paper presented at the Jean Piaget Society in Toronto, Ontario, Canada