Sessional Assistant Professor
PhD - University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON; BEd - University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON; MA - Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON; BA - Queen's University, Kingston, ON
Location(s) / Contact Info:
249, Winters College - WC
Phone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 22777
- "Race, Culture and Schooling (GS/EDUC 5420)
- Foundations of Education & Theory Into Practice (ED/EDFE 2000)
- Inquiries Into Learning (ED/EDFE 2100)
- Social Studies & Culture in the Primary-Junior Divisions (ED/EDPJ 3000)
- Textual Analysis in Education (GS/EDUC 5230)
- Smith, B (2016). Mobile Applications and Decolonization: Cautionary Notes about the Curriculum of Code. Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy, 13 (2), 144-163.
- Smith, B. (2016). Digital Common Sense: Reddit, Racialized Language and the Occlusion of Poetry. In N. Ng-A-Fook, A. Ibrahim, & G. Reis (Eds.), Provoking Curriculum Studies: Strong Poetry and the Arts of the Possible (pp. 104-116). New York, NY: Routledge
- Smith, B. & Rogers, P. (2015). Towards a Theory of Decolonizing Citizenship. Citizenship Education Research Journal, 5 (1), 59-71.
- Smith, B. (2014). Teaching a "Social Studies without Guarantees": Disrupting Essentialism, Ameliorating Exclusions and Planting the Seeds. Critical Literacy: Theories and Practices, 8 (1), 64-79.
- Smith, B. (2014). Confronting Race and Colonialism: Experiences and Lessons Learned From Teaching Social Studies. In Education, 20 (1), 25-39.
- Smith, B., Ng-A-Fook, N. & Corrigan, J. (2014). Mobile(izing) Educational Research: Historical Literacy, M-Learning, and Technopolitics. McGill Journal of Education, 49 (3), 583-602.
- Smith, B. (2013). Currere and Critical Pedagogy: Thinking Critically about Self-Reflective Methods. Transnational Curriculum Inquiry, 10 (2), 3-16.
- Corrigan, J., Ng-A-Fook, N., Lévesque, S., & Smith, B. (2013). Looking to the Future to Understand the Past: A Survey of Pre-Service History Teachers' Experiences with Digital Technology and Content Knowledge. Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy, 8 (1-2), 1-37.
- Smith, B., Ng-A-Fook, N., Berry, S., & Spence, K. (2011). Deconstructing a Curriculum of Dominance: Teacher Education, Colonial Frontier Logics, and Residential Schooling. Transnational Curriculum Inquiry, 8 (2), 53-70.
- Online Learning Tool Award, Canadian Association of Foundations of Education - 2015