Deaf Education Graduates

I didn’t pick up my diploma or I would like to have my diploma mailed to me, who do I contact?

For all inquiries regarding your diploma, please contact the Registrar’s Office at York University.

How do I get a copy of my transcript?

The D/HH Program cannot provide transcripts or grades.  To get a transcript, please contact the Registrar’s Office at York University.

How do I get my Specialist qualification from the Ontario College of Teachers?

How long does it take for my completed qualifications to show up on my OCT record?

It can take approximately four to six weeks for your recommendation to be processed by the Ontario College of Teachers and before you will be able to see it on your record.  Please note that this timeline is an estimate only.

I have just graduated from the program. Do I need to contact the Ontario College of Teachers or will York University send my recommendation for me?

You do not need to contact the Ontario College of Teachers for this purpose.  York University will submit your recommendation of successful completion of the D/HH Program to the Ontario College of Teachers.

Deaf Education Program

When does the program start and end? When will I have classes?

The full-time program runs for one academic year. Classes start the end of August, and the program finishes at the end of April. There is a two-week break at Christmas, and there are no classes during March Break. Fall term courses run until approximately the 3rd week of November, followed by a 4-week teaching practicum. Winter term courses run until the end of March, followed by a second 4-week teaching practicum.

Classes are generally scheduled for Monday through Thursday. However, there are a number of field trips, observations, guest lectures, etc. scheduled on many Fridays, so Teacher Candidates need to be available full-time.

Is any part of the full-time program online?

There may be some classes which are online; however, the majority of the classes for full-time Teacher Candidates take place on campus, and you are expected to attend all scheduled classes.

I’m not sure I understand what the “streams” are. When do I need to choose a stream?

The Ontario College of Teachers has mandated that graduates of the program be certified in either the Oral/Aural stream, or the ASL stream. This will be identified on your diploma from York University, and on your Teacher Record Card from the OCT. Your stream is intended to highlight a particular skill set, but does not necessarily limit where you can be hired. You will be selecting a stream midway through the fall term and will register for the three courses associated with that stream.

If you are interested in taking the ASL stream, you will need to demonstrate a level of ASL proficiency sufficient to teach in that language. Teacher Candidates interested in this stream will be required to take the ASL Proficiency Interview (ASLPI), and will need to obtain at least a rating of 3 on that scale. This assessment is arranged by the Program to be done via FUZE and there are no costs associated with it for participants.

Can I take longer than three years to complete the program?

Yes, you can take up to a maximum of five years to complete the D/HH Program.

Can I fast track and complete the part time program in less than three years?

The part-time program is a three-year program.  The program cannot be completed in less than three-years due to the sequence of the courses and their prerequisites, and the requirement that courses be completed prior to practicum placements.

Can I take the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher Education Program at the same time that I am taking my BEd?

You cannot take the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher Education Program while taking your BEd course.  Students enrolled in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher Education Program are required to be current members in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers or other Provincial/Territorial Teacher Licensing Organization.

I have some ASL skills; do I qualify to enroll in the ASL Stream?

To enroll in the ASL stream, you must have the ability to teach with ASL as the language of instruction. An assessment of ASL skills is arranged by the program for Teacher Candidates who express interest in the ASL stream.

I won’t graduate from my BEd Program until June; can I still apply for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher Education Program?

Yes, you can still apply to the program. You may be offered a conditional acceptance with your six-digit Ontario College of Teacher Registration number or proof of application to the appropriate Provincial/Territorial Teacher Licensing Organization.

Teacher Candidates must provide documentation to show that they are a member of the Ontario College of Teachers with no limitations and/or restrictions prior to the program start date.

Teacher Candidates living outside of Ontario are required to provide documentation to show that they are a member in good standing with no limitations and/or restrictions with the Provincial/Territorial licensing body from the current Province/Territory with which they are registered to teach prior to the program start date.

What type of documentation is required to be submitted as proof of completion of my ASL courses?

The following will be accepted as proof of completion:

  • Certificate from the program
  • Transcripts
  • Letter of Completion on the institution/organization letterhead.

Do I have to take my ASL courses at York University?

York University offers ASL courses, but applicants may complete their courses from any recognized college/university or community organization.

Do I have to complete both ASL courses before I can apply to the program?

No; you do not have to complete both ASL Courses before applying to the program.  You must be in the process of completing your ASL courses and if accepted into the D/HH program, the offer will be conditional on the prerequisite being met.

What other fees are associated with this program?

Other fees may consist of,  but are not limited to the following:

  • Textbooks/materials for courses
  • Expenses in relation to practicum placement
  • Field Trips

Do I have to meet all of the prerequisites to take this program?

Yes; applicants must meet all of the prerequisites or be in the process of meeting prerequisites.

I work in a field related to teaching or have experience working with Deaf or hard of hearing individuals. Can I apply to the program?

We are not able to accept applicants who do not meet the prerequisites of the program.  Please refer to the Admission Requirements.