PhD - York University, Toronto; M.Cl.Sc. (Audiology) - University of Western Ontario, London; B.Sc. (Communicative Disorders) - University of Western Ontario, London
Location(s) / Contact Info:
107, Winters College - WC
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAvailable to supervise graduate students
Dr. Millett has been an educational and clinical audiologist for 30 years in school boards in Ontario and Alberta, and is currently an Associate Professor and Academic Coordinator in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Education Program. Her areas of research are in educational audiology, which is the interface between clinical audiology and education. Today, when babies are screened for hearing loss at birth, and amplification technology improves every year, more students with hearing loss are able to attend their neighbourhood schools, but this still requires academic, social, language and technological support from teachers of the deaf and hard of hearing and educational audiologists. Dr. Millett chaired the Canadian Interorganization Steering Group for the development of the Canadian Guidelines for Auditory Processing Disorder in Children and Adults: Assessment and Intervention. She was awarded Honours of the Association for the Ontario Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists in 2015. Read more in the Faculty of Education's "Get to Know our Faculty"
Educational audiology, auditory learning in the classroom, accessibility for students with hearing loss, post secondary accommodations for students with hearing loss teacher education
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education - Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
- Educational Audiology (ED/AUCO 3555)
- Language and Literacy Development in Deaf and Hard of Hearing Learners II (ED/LLDV 3736)
- Millett, P. (2018). The role of sound field amplification for English Language Learners Journal of Pediatric, Rehabilitative and Educational Audiology, 23.
- Millett, P. (2018). Ready, SET, Listen: A model for choosing a Hearing Assistance Technology Canadian Audiologist, 5 (2).
- Millett, P. (2018). Degree of hearing loss vs hearing access The Hearing Journal, 71 (9). doi:doi: 10.1097/01.HJ.0000546273.38176.ef.
- Millett, P. (2010). Accommodating students with hearing loss in a teacher of the deaf or hard of hearing education program. . Journal of Educational Audiology.
- Millett, P. and Purcell, R. (2010). Effects of sound field amplification on grade 1 reading outcomes Canadian Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.
- Millett, P. (201). Using Classroom Amplification in a Universal Design Model to Enhance Hearing and Listening.
Use of captioning apps for post secondary students with hearing loss
Role: Principal Investigator
Amount funded: $8000
Year Funded: 2016
Funded by: Academic Innovation Fund, York University
- Hear the World Foundation grant, Hear the World Foundation - 2016
- Arctic Inspiration Prize - 2015
- Academic Innovation Fund, York University - 2015 and 2016
- Ontario Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists: Awarded Honours of the Association, 2015 Member, former board of director
- College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists: Registered; Council member (2018-2021) Former member: Quality Assurance Committee, Patient Relations Committee, Inquiries and Complaints Review Committee
- Canadian Academy of Audiology: Member
- Educational Audiology Association: Member
- Speech-Language and Audiology Canada: Member