B.Ed. - Memorial; M.Ed. - Memorial; Ph.D. - British Columbia; Post Doc. - Michigan State
Location(s) / Contact Info:
267, Winters College - WC
Phone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 77361
Jackie Lynch is Associate Professor of Education specializing in early literacy and family literacy research. Jackie completed a Ph.D. in Language and Literacy Education at the University of British Columbia in 2003 and was a SSHRC Post-doctoral Research Fellow at Michigan State University’s Department of Teacher Education from 2003-2005. She has primary school teaching experience in Canada, South Korea, and England and was a course director at the University of British Columbia and at Michigan State University. Jackie has conducted research in early literacy development and family literacy across Canada and in the U.S., and some of her research findings have been published in refereed journals, including the Journal of Research in Reading, Reading Psychology, and the Journal of Early Childhood Literacy. She is the lead author for a teacher educator text published by Oxford University Press.
Jackie was an Affiliate Associate Professor at the College of Education and Human Development, George Mason University in Fall 2014 and continues to write about and conduct research in early literacy, family literacy, and preschool/primary school teaching.
Early literacy development and achievement; family literacy; parents’ and teachers’ literacy beliefs; parent involvement in education; sociocognitive and sociocultural approaches to teaching and learning literacy; preschool and primary school teacher development
Faculty & School/Dept
- Faculty of Education -
- Faculty of Graduate Studies, -
- Educating Young Children (GS/EDUC 5540)
- Language & Literacy in the Primary-Junior Divisions (ED/EDPJ 1000)
- Lynch, J., Ferguson, K., Winch, G., Ross Johnston, R., March, P., Ljungdahl, L., & Holliday, M. (2017). Literacy: Reading, writing, and children's literature (Canadian ed.). Don Mills, Ontario: Oxford University Press.
- Lynch, J., & Owston, R. (2015). Preschool teachers' beliefs about the teaching and learning of language and literacy: Implications for education and practice. International Research in Early Childhood Education, 6, 91-111.
- Lynch, J. (2013). A case study of a volunteer-based literacy class with adults with developmental disabilities. Australian Journal of Adult Learning, 53, 302-325.
- Anderson, J., Anderson, A., Lynch, J., Shapiro, J., & Kim, J. (2012). Extra-textual talk in shared book reading: A focus on questioning. Early Child Development and Care, 182, 1139-1154.
- Lynch, J. (2011). An observational study of print literacy in Canadian preschool classrooms. Early Childhood Education Journal, 38, 329-338.
- Schecter, S., & Lynch, J. (2011). Health learning and adult education: In search of a theory of practice. Adult Education Quarterly, 61, 207-224.
- Lynch, J., & Ferguson, K. (2010). Reflections of elementary school literacy coaches on practice: Roles and perspectives. Canadian Journal of Education, 33, 199-227.
- Lynch, J. (2010). Kindergarten teachers' beliefs about students' knowledge of print literacy and parental involvement in children's print literacy development. Alberta Journal of Educational Research, 56, 157-171.
- Lynch, J. (2009). Preschool teachers' beliefs about children's print literacy development. Early Years, 29, 191-203.
- Lynch, J. (2009). Print literacy engagement of parents from low-income backgrounds: Implications for adult and family literacy programs. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 52, 509-521.
- Lynch, J., Anderson, J., Anderson, A., & Shapiro, J. (2008). Parents and preschool children interacting with storybooks: Children's early literacy achievement. Reading Horizons, 48, 227-242.
- Lynch, J. (2008). Engagement with print: Low-income families and Head Start children. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, 8, 151-175.
- Lynch, J., & Alsop, S. (2007). The effectiveness of literacy coaches. What works? Research into practice, Research Monograph #6. Toronto, Ontario: The Literacy and Numeracy Secretariat and the Ontario Association of Deans of Education.
- Lynch, J. (2007). Learning about literacy: Social factors and reading acquisition. In R. Tremblay, R. Barr, & R. Peters (Eds.), Encyclopedia of language and literacy development (pp. 1-9). London, ON: Canadian Language and Literacy Research Network.
- Lynch, J., Anderson, J., Anderson, A., & Shapiro, J. (2006). Parents' beliefs about young children's literacy development and parents' literacy behaviors. Reading Psychology, 27, 1-20.
- Anderson, J., Anderson, A., Lynch, J. & Shapiro, J. (2004). Examining the effects of gender and genre on interactions in storybook reading. Reading Research and Instruction, 43, 1-20.
- Anderson, J., Anderson, A., Lynch, J., & Shapiro, J. (2003). Storybook reading in a multicultural society: Critical perspectives. In A. van Kleeck, S. Stahl, & E. Bauer (Eds.), On reading to children: Parents and teachers (pp. 203-230). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Lynch, J. (2002). Parents' self-efficacy beliefs, parents' gender, children's reader self-perceptions, reading achievement and gender. Journal of Research in Reading, 25, 54-67.
- Anderson, J., Anderson, A., Shapiro, J., & Lynch, J. (2001). Fathers' and mothers' book selection preferences for their four year-old children. Reading Horizons, 41, 189-210.
- Lynch, J., & Williams, N. (2016, December). A comparison of fathers' and mothers' oral language interactions with primary school students. Presented at: the annual conference of the Literacy Research Association, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Lynch, J., & Owston, R. (2015, December). Short-term professional development in language and literacy: What factors can support its effectiveness?. Presented at: the annual conference of the Literacy Research Association, Carlsbad, California.
- Malhotra, T., & Lynch, J. (2015, June). The integration of technology in kindergarten literacy learning. Presented at: the annual conference of the Canadian Society for the Study of Education, Ottawa, Ontario
- Lynch, J., & Owston, R. (2013, August). The effect of early literacy intervention on preschool teachers’ beliefs. Presented at: the 18th European Conference on Reading, Jönköping, Sweden.
- Lynch, J., Kotsopoulos, S., & Owston, R. (2013, April). Long-term effects of professional development in language and literacy with preschool teachers. Presented at: the International Reading Association's Annual Convention, San Antonio, Texas.
- Lynch, J., Owston, R., & Mosun, M. (2012, July). Professional development in writing with preschool teachers. Presented at: International Innovations in ECE: A Canadian Forum on Early Childhood Frameworks, Victoria, British Columbia.
- Lynch, J., & Owston, R. (2012, April). Preschool teachers in practice: Examining the role of professional development in literacy. Presented at: the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Lynch, J., & Owston, R. (2012, January). Preschool teacher inservice: A focus on children's oral language development. Presented at: the 9th annual Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, HI.
- Lynch, J., & Owston, R. (2011, August). Books and book reading in preschool classrooms: Results of professional development in literacy. Presented at: the 17th European Conference on Reading, Mons, Belgium.
- Lynch, J, & Owston, R. (2010, July). Examining preschool teachers' beliefs about language and literacy development in early education. Presented at: the International Reading Association's 23rd World Congress on Reading, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Lynch, J., & Ferguson, K. (2009, December). Examining primary/junior literacy coaches: Roles and perspectives. Presented at: the annual meeting of the National Reading Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Scott, K., & Lynch, J. (2009, May). African-Canadian fathers' engagement in young boys' print literacy development. Presented at: the annual conference of the Canadian Society for the Study of Education, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Lynch, J., Owston, R., & Wideman, H. (2009, March). Innovation in Canada. Innovation around the world: Teaching, learning, and country context in an international education reform program. Presented at: the Comparative and International Education Society's 53rd annual conference, Charleston, South Carolina.
- Lynch, J. (2008, March). Print literacy engagement of parents from low-income backgrounds. Presented at: the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York, NY.
- Lynch, J. (2006, December). Parent-child print literacy activities and young children's knowledge about print. Presented at: the annual meeting of the National Reading Conference, Los Angeles, California.
- Lynch, J., & Purcell-Gates, V. (2005, April). Out-of-school written text interactions: Low-income families and Head Start children. Presented at: the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Montreal, Quebec.
- Lynch, J., Anderson, J., Anderson, A, & Shapiro, J. (2004, April). Parents' literacy beliefs and behaviors: A study with families from diverse cultural backgrounds. Presented at: the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Diego, California.
- Harrison, C., Lynch, J., Othman-Rahman, M., Perry, K., & Zhang, G. (2003, December). Four case studies of cultural practices of literacy: U.S. Sudanese immigrants; children of Chinese immigants; Hispanic migrant families; Muslim-Malay families. Presented at: the 53rd annual meeting of the National Reading Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona.
Professional Development for Preschool Teachers: Examining the Effectiveness on Literacy Teaching and Learning
Role: Principal Investigator
Amount funded: $120 235
Year Funded: 2009
Duration: 3 years
Funded by: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Supporting School-based Teaching Strategies: Creating Videos for Parents
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
Amount funded: $10 000
Year Funded: 2016
Duration: 1 year
Funded by: Ministry of Education
- National Reading Conference Newsletter: Editor, 2007-2009.
- Journal of Literacy Research: Review Board Member, 2007-2013.
- Journal of Research in Reading: Review Board Member, 2011-2015.
- International Reading Association: Member, Early Literacy Task Force, 2010-2014.
- Teaching and Teacher Education: Review Board Member, 2016