Following a new mandate from the Ontario government and the Ontario College of Teachers last year, the Faculty of Education at York University is modernizing our teacher education program, beginning September 2015. The Bachelor of Education program will expand to four semesters including a minimum of 80 days of classroom teaching experience.
We offer two teacher education programs - Concurrent and Consecutive - leading to a Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree and a recommendation to the Ontario College of Teachers for an Ontario Certificate of Registration. Our programs provide teacher candidates with the knowledge and skills necessary to enter the teaching profession as confident and effective teachers. Highlights of our programs include:
- A commitment to diversity, equity and social justice infused throughout the entire program;
- Engagement in local and global classrooms and communities
- Development of teaching practices that are responsive to the needs of diverse learners;
Graduates of our BEd programs can be certified to teach in Ontario for the Primary/Junior (JK to Grade 6), Junior/Intermediate (Grade 4 to Grade 10), and the Intermediate/Senior (Grade 7 to Grade 12) divisions and are in high demand because of their awareness of social justice issues, knowledge of current theory and research, and extensive classroom experience.
- Consecutive BEd (Full-time) - December 1, 2016
- Consecutive BEd Technological Education (Full-time) – December 1, 2016
- Concurrent BEd (Pre-Education Direct Entry) - mid January 2017
Program information can also be found in the York University undergraduate calendar.